Thursday, July 06, 2006

As we have our fifth day of continuous rain the thought of going somewhere slightly drier - New Mexico- has even more appeal. This physical journey will I hope involve two aspects of my life journey that are very important to me at present. The first aspect is my interest in Geography and especially spatial technologies (GIS). I hope to see lots of geography! Ever since I bought a book when I was about 12 years old, by Disney on deserts Mesas, buttes and canyons have fascinated me. So the Grand Canyon is definitely in the planned places to see.

The second is to maintain contact with Liam and Madeline two of my four grandchildren. Skype makes it easy but it is not the same as seeing people.

Now I just have to sort out a few issues at school and put the clothes into the suitcase rather than on the floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that book. I had one with stickers showing the wonders of the world and there was one of a farmer watching a volcano growing out of his paddock, somewhere in the Mexico area.
Darian is enjoying the Feilding library. It is smaller, not so overwhelming.

Judith

M + J said...

What exactly is a "butte"? We have driven up them, climbed them and seen lots of them but don't really understand how they are different from... say, a hill! Is there a connection to volcanoes at all? We seem to come across a lot of lava Buttes.